Tourist Couple eating meat from the Groundhog infected with the bubonic plague
Two tourists from Russia ate in Mongolia, raw marmot meat. After a short incubation period, two patients (37 and 38 years) died of plague, the dreaded bump. Many travelers are stuck currently in the holiday resort of Ölgii. Including two German passengers should be at the end. The area was placed under quarantine.
A Russian tourist couple, died after Eating marmot liver to the deadly bubonic plague. „The husband and his pregnant wife was in the Mongolian town of Ölgii in the West of the country with the plague infiziert“, a spokesman for the health confirmed by the Ministry of Mongolia. The couple leaves behind four children between 2 and 13 years.
Entire city on lockdown
As the speaker noted, „the entire town under quarantine gestellt“. At the time, dozens of tourists are not allowed to leave the city, because for them, the exit barrier. According to the authorities, information holidaymakers from Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands and Switzerland, and the United States are among the travellers. „Up to 21 days of such quarantine gelten“ can;, the local health Department.
The plague is one of the most deadly diseases in the history of mankind. Especially in the middle ages the “Black death called” how the people used to call the infectious disease at the time, millions of people’s lives. Even today, in some regions outbreaks, such as this current example shows.
Contact persons are under surveillance
160 other people are also under constant medical observation, as these were entered with the deceased couple in contact. “Half the town is closed due to some plague-contaminated woodchucks,” said a tourist in the Russian newspaper „Siberian Times“. „We were just about to leave Ölgii and deeper into Mongolia travel. But all roads out of the city are dense and we are not allowed to go out. This is just surreal“, so the travelers in the newspaper.
A spokesman for law, limiting customized measures. „The plague is a highly contagious bacterial infection disease. We need to prevent it from spreading.“ The most common Form, which occurs, is plague, the so-called bump. It makes the beginning with fever, headache, body aches, and inflammation of the lymph nodes in the groin area is noticeable. Common Vectors are fleas of rodents such as marmots.
Mongolia is a danger zone
Mongolia, according to the foreign office a “danger zone”. The state is one of the few countries where the Pest occurs from time to time. The plague is transmitted either by direct contact with marmots or from the consumption of under cooked meat.
The Foreign office stresses, therefore, that the contact with the animals and no raw meat to eat. Travelers should note these precautions in the interest of their own health: „Pets against fleas treat in order to prevent a Transfer, DEET-containing mosquito sprays prevent the Transfer of fleas on people; contact with sick and dead rodents to avoid.“ For normal travelers no increased risk of infection, the authority was still.
Can rage the plague again?
The plague in the middle ages, hundreds of thousands of the life? This is in the Western countries is unlikely. Only in Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and California are always reported as re-infections. Health regulations in air and Maritime, rat destruction on the ships, reporting obligation for the plague, and very good Hygiene can make it difficult for the pathogen to spread. In addition, the infection can quickly with antibiotic drugs get a grip, if it is detected in a timely manner.
WHO is concerned
Also, the world health organization, WHO, has her eye on the deadly infectious disease. In particular, in the countries of democratic Republic of the Congo, Madagascar and Peru, it always come back to a number of deaths. For more information, read the article: WHO warns of the return of the plague. (sb)